Monday, March 1, 2010

My lovely mask maker

Naturally I was disappointed when I discovered Mondonovo was closed for holidays (see previous blog) but my spirits lifted when I discovered this gem along Calle Dei Saoneri (not far from Campo Santa Margherita). The mask maker was busily painting his masterpieces and kindly signed my mask. It now hangs happily on the corner of my oversized gilt-edged mirror in my dining room. An added bonus was the cost of 13 euro compared to one of the more elaborate masks from the Mondonovo atelier which would be been more than 10 times the price. For opera buffs I would still recommend buying a mask from Mondonovo. After all, Lovato (mask maker and proprietor of Mondonovo) is a highly esteemed master of his trade; it was Lovato who was called in to oversee reconstruction of the sculptures and reliefs in the Fenice Theatre (Teatro La Fenice) when it was burned to the ground in 1996. (Recommended reading: The City of Fallings Angels" by John Berendt)

No comments: