Thursday, August 12, 2010

Astronomical Clock


I have to admit it was what I refer to as a Mona Lisa Moment when I finally caught the clock in motion. I don't know what I was expecting - maybe a little more activity, maybe a few more characters popping out of its edifice, but it was splendid just the same.


Located in the oldest Gothic part of Old Town, the Astronomical Clock (early 15th century) features 12 apostles which appear every hour between 9am and 9pm. The bottom portion of the clock is supplemented with a round calendarium which including the signs of the zodiac. It is the main meeting place for guided tours and a key tourist attraction.
You can't miss it...seriously...you simply can't miss it (in more ways than one!). I've purposely not included an image of the clock in full action - why spoil the surprise. Go to Prague and experience it for yourselves!

No comments: