Thursday, August 12, 2010

Farewell Prague


We spent a glorious week in Prague. I think January was the perfect time to visit - it wasn't inundated with throngs of tourists, the Charles Bridge still endured its barrage of artists, musicians and beggars keen to make a crown or two but it wasn't seething with sightseers - it was a joy to cross. It would be fun to see this city in all of its glory in springtime but I'm not sure I could cope with the masses.
Would I return - absolutely. And what would I do? I would make a date with the Black Light Theatre (in retrospect, I think we should have listened to our friends' advice and taken in a performance), I would go on the Communism Walk (it covers the communist era and the most important events of the 20th century including the occupation of Prague by the Nazis in March 1939) and I would soak up the sounds of a Mozart Christmas Concert inside the ancient Church of St Martin in the Wall. What would I recommend? Definitely the scenic cruise down the Vltava River, time-out in St Nicolas' Church and a tour of the Jewish Quarter...and take a walk up to the Absinth Shop (Uvoz 1, Praha 1) www.absinth-shop.net where you'll watch the art of making an absinth drink and you're treated to a sample of this heart-starter. Such fun!

Next stop: overnight in Rome then onto Florence.

No comments: